Very slow batch-add Very slow batch-add

News:

CPG Release 1.6.26
Correct PHP8.2 issues with user and language managers.
Additional fixes for PHP 8.2
Correct PHP8 error with SMF 2.0 bridge.
Correct IPTC supplimental category parsing.
Download and info HERE

Main Menu

Very slow batch-add

Started by Ben, November 17, 2004, 03:54:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ben

Dears,

I'm quite new to coppermine. After having search this forum for an anwser, i'm turning to you to fing some help.
First of all, my conf:
Hardware: PII 300Mhz / 96Mo RAM
Software: OpenBSD 3.2 / Apache 2.0.52 / Coppermine 1.3.2 / PHP 4.3.5 / GD (from PHP) / libjpeg 6b / libpng 1.2.7 / zlib 1.2.1

I uploaded 87 images (avg. image size is about 1,5Mb, max is 2Mb)
In batch-add mode (admin mode) it took more than 40 min. to create the "normal" and "thumb" images, which is quite long. using top, I could see 4 httpd process getting all the CPU usage.

Althought some my say that my hardware is in fault, I'm not sure about that. If i use resize_image (a small binary that uses libjpeg 6b) to create the images (normal + thumb) it takes less than 10 minutes.

Does anybody as any idea ?

Thanks
Benoit Bertrand

Joachim Müller

Hm, it may sound like an easy option, or a lame excuse, but I'd say: yes, your hardware is to blame. To speed this up, you're recommended to do all the resizing on your client - there are a lot of free apps that can do nice batch-resizing and -renaming (with even better quality than GD or ImageMagick as server apps can). Then ftp-upload the whole enchilada (full-size pics, intermediates and thumbnails) to your webserver and start the batch-add process. Coppermine will respect the fact that the intermediate files and thumbnails already exist and not start the resizing process, but just add the new files to the database in no time.
The naming convention (can be changed in coppermine config) are "normal_" as prefix for intermediate size pics and "thumb_" as prefix for the thumbnails; if you have a file called "mypic.jpg", create "thumb_mypic.jpg" and "normal_mypic.jpg" on your client, upload the three files and start the batch-add process.
The recommended tool for batch-resizing pics on the client is "Irfan View".

Joachim

Ben

Thanks for all Joachim.

In fact, I was wandering, this afternoon, if it was possible for me to create de normal & thumb image before processing the "bach-add". Well, i've got my answer now :).
Thanks indeed for your resize tools. This will prevent me making a small shell script with resize_image.

Have a nice day,
Ben