[Help] Make a direct link to a video file? [Help] Make a direct link to a video file?

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Main Menu

[Help] Make a direct link to a video file?

Started by wbc, January 08, 2005, 02:27:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wbc

I run cpg on my homecomputer. The homevideo file has 500MB. I like to copy the video file in the root\cpg\_files\video (it is simple ,easy and fast) and make a link to it instead of uploading this file to 'my computer' (it will take couple hours).
Any mod for this function?
What shall I do ?

Tranz

maybe you can set up an Alias in httpd.conf (if you are running apache) to have that directory point where you want it to.

Joachim Müller

a symlink might help in this case...

Joachim

P.S. Have I already mentioned that you shouldn't run your own server if you don't know the basics? I have? Won't hurt to repeat this... ;)

Tranz

I figured he was running on Windows, which doesn't support symlinking. At least, that was what I was told when we had a similar discussion in my webhost forums. That's why I've resorted to Alias.

Joachim Müller

Guess that makes it even worse ;) I got distracted by wbc mentioning a folder called "root", but I should have known better: someone who uses backslashes can't be on Lunix, so yeah - must be Windoze he's on. Recommendation still applies: don't run your own server if you have no or little  idea about it.

@wbc: if you run your own webserver, you won't have to use FTP, you can of course move the file directly (using Windows Explorer) from anywhere on your hard drive to coppermine's albums folder (which resides on one of your hard drives as well if self-hosted). On a second glimpse: if it takes hours for you to upload, this means you have a slow connection to the internet. This means that visitors to your site will also need hours to download the file - I can guarantee nobody will. You should make up your mind on re-encoding the video, using a better codec and compression, and/or cutting it into pieces.
Or did you mean you are actually webhosted, but you want to link from your webhosted coppermine gallery to your local pc? If this was actually your question, then the answer is: this is not possible.

Joachim

kegobeer

No, he runs a server from his home computer, and he uses a redirect service to point to his server.  He's had issues with his installation from the beginning.  Reviewing his earlier posts will bring you up to speed.
Do not send me a private message unless I ask for one.  Make your post public so everyone can benefit.

There are no stupid questions
But there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots

wbc

Hi !  Thank , Guys.

Let me say again :
1. I run cpg on windows 2000 which is on my homecomuper.
2. If I submit the video file(loacted at another hard drive in the same computer and ususally it is hundred MB) to cpg  ,so people can see it thru internet. But it will take a long time to finish submit
3.So what I think is that just to copy the video file in the http:\\root\cpg\_files\video (it is simple ,easy and fast) and make a link to it instead of uploading this file to cpg (which is in 'my computer') (it will take couple hours >>> what I mean is take a long time.)
4. I do'nt know what is symlinking?
5. So far I run Phpbb2 BBS, I just copy the video file xxx/mpg  to certain directory (http:\\phpbb2\_files\  and make a link to it( video[url]) .
User then may get to my phpbb2 and see the video thrun internet.
6. I dont know cpg also capble of this function
7. or any mod to this thing!
8. miniCMS does nothing to do with this ??

kegobeer

Why haven't you done batch adding of your pictures anyway?  Like the documentation tells you, create a directory in the /albums directory, copy all the files/pictures to that directory, then batch add them.
Do not send me a private message unless I ask for one.  Make your post public so everyone can benefit.

wbc

kegobeer :

You make a mistake:

I just try to link  a (only one) file to cpg instead of uploading a budle of pictures)

kegobeer

Whatever.  You don't seem to grasp what I'm saying, so just do this:

1.  On your computer, use Windows Explorer to create a new directory in your /albums directory called newuploads.  You now have this: /albums/newuploads
2.  Copy your video file to /albums/newuploads.
3.  Use Internet Explorer, go to your website, log in as the admin, and click on Batch Add Files.
4.  Select newuploads as the directory.
5.  Select the album you want to put the video in.
6.  Select the video file you just copied.
7.  Click Insert Selected Files.

You should always use the batch add process when you add pictures/files/videos to your gallery.  Never upload as a regular user.

wbc

kegobeer :

Thank you !  I got !

Happy New Year from
Taipei, Taiwan