Dividing User Albums Dividing User Albums

News:

CPG Release 1.6.26
Correct PHP8.2 issues with user and language managers.
Additional fixes for PHP 8.2
Correct PHP8 error with SMF 2.0 bridge.
Correct IPTC supplimental category parsing.
Download and info HERE

Main Menu

Dividing User Albums

Started by urmomma, October 03, 2005, 01:01:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

urmomma

My site's Image Gallery:
http://glitchseekers.com/image_gallery/index.php

My problem:
I'm trying to make a back-up when I realized, since I'm the main user that is uploading that my folder:

albums/userpics/10002

Has over 500 Images in it and won't display in my FTP program (has a time-out), and in the admin panel of the site it only shows 500 images at a time. I am going to continue uploading so what my host suggests is taking that folder (10002) and putting a few folders into it and putting the images in there. Is that possible? I guess I would have to go into the Mysql Database and change a few things.

Any other suggestions are welcomed. Another one is making another username and uploading through that.

Nibbler

Using batch add is the best method. Splitting the files into multiple subfolders won't be an easy task.

urmomma

splitting files into subfolders...can you tell me how? I'm guessing I manually do it (literally move the files to their respective subfolders) then in the Mysql Database change some fields. Which tables and which fields would I have to modify?

Using batch add? I was looking through the FAQ and tutorials, but all I understand now is how to use that program to make pictures smaller, and that isn't the problem. What exactly is batch add? I know what batch files are...and I don't understand how to use them to finish uploading images (since they are basically just a list of commands for MS DOS) unless the batch program uses FTP I guess...not sure...can you give me a link to more information on this process?

Thanks for your help. My solution so far is to make new users (calling them gs_bots) to upload and when they each upload about 250 I make a new one...so I don't have this problem in the future.

Thanks for your help.

Nibbler

http://coppermine-gallery.net/demo/cpg13x/docs/index.htm#batch_add_pics

You'd need to change the filepath field in the pictures table, but that may cause problems further down the line.

urmomma

thank you for the link. That is a very neat system for uploading.

"but that may cause problems further down the line."
Can you explain that for if it is preventable, I would like to do it now then face with the problem a times away.

For now, I've decided to make many users (calling them gs_bots) to upload about 250 images each then making a new one for the rest of my uploading days so I never have to deal with this problem again. So a bad solution, but I think its the best, is saving all the wallpapers I uploaded, delete them from the Image Gallery (using the Image Gallery admin controls of course to delete the entries in the tables as well as thumbnails) and reuploading them with the bot. It isn't to many images but a week's worth of work.

Thanks again for your support. This isn't the first time I've asked a question on this forum, and all of you have been very helpful! Thanks! I will look into reading the source this weekend and maybe making a mod or 2, if I think of any since you guys do not accept donations (which I understand as I have taken part of open-source projects in the past)...so if you have any in mind that people keep asking for, please tell me.

Joachim Müller

thanks for returning and resolving your thread. It's true that we don't accept donations, but mods are always welcome (as you suggested) - see We need your help. It's hard to say though what mod you could do: although there are a lot of mods people constantly are asking for (see the feature requests board), as it depepends on your skills, the time you're ready to spend on this and your interests. In my experience, mods work best if the author created a mod that he needed very badly for his own site, so my suggestion is that you browse the feature requests board and chose a mod request that sounds most interessting for your personal use as well.

urmomma

hmm...maybe then a mod so that when a user uploads 250 images it creates another folder for him to upload too. I will look into that. Thanks for your help!