Upload files to different directory Upload files to different directory

News:

CPG Release 1.6.26
Correct PHP8.2 issues with user and language managers.
Additional fixes for PHP 8.2
Correct PHP8 error with SMF 2.0 bridge.
Correct IPTC supplimental category parsing.
Download and info HERE

Main Menu

Upload files to different directory

Started by Cimrmanek, November 25, 2006, 01:14:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cimrmanek

Hello,
sorry if this query is somewhere here but I didn´t find it. Is it possible for registered user (not admin) to upload files physically to different directory than to that one belonging to him? When reg. user uploads any file (no matter to which album) it is always saved in his directory (...albums/userpics/10001) and what if he uploads for example 500 files or more, that means 1500 files (original +normal +thumb). I think it is too much for one directory, isn´t it? It would be perfect if he could upload files to any directory created by admin by ftp, for example ...albums/landscape or ...albums/animals.. etc.
Once more, I mean to upload files to directory on the server not to album in gallery, just for sure  ;)
Thank you for any reply.

Joachim Müller

No, this is not possible - all http uploads go into the same directory (per user).

Cimrmanek

Hmm thanks :(
And is there any possibility for registered users to upload files by ftp?

Joachim Müller

No, batch-add is for admins only, for security reasons. You mustn't allow FTP-uploads by anyone else - this would be a huge security risk.
What maximum number of uploads do you expect by users? Several hundreds (or even thousands) in one folder might become a problem (depending on your server setup). Only a few are no problem. Did you actually experience any problems, or do you just ask out of curiosity?
From my experience, even on busy galleries, there is only a comparatively small number of pics uploaded per individual users. I have never heard of galleries running into issues because individual folders running to full in terms of number of files.
The only issue that comes to mind would be if you have silly_safe_mode on: in this particular case, there are no sub-folders within the userpics folder where the uploads go to (due to safe_mode restrictions). This can lead to gallery slow-downs for a huge number of files (several thousands). But then, you should re-consider your hosting contract - for busy sites, a crippled webserver (and that's what safe-mode actually is) is not an option.
Bottom line: don't worry about the number of files untill they actually become an issue - you could easily move stuff around once you experience issues. No reason to make up your mind before you reach that stage.

Joachim

Cimrmanek

OK, I was just thinking what if... But you are right.
I just like to have an order in directories and files, but in this case its probably useless now.

Thanks for your time.