Can't get Boolean search to work- or can't find syntax Can't get Boolean search to work- or can't find syntax

News:

CPG Release 1.6.26
Correct PHP8.2 issues with user and language managers.
Additional fixes for PHP 8.2
Correct PHP8 error with SMF 2.0 bridge.
Correct IPTC supplimental category parsing.
Download and info HERE

Main Menu

Can't get Boolean search to work- or can't find syntax

Started by spoon, June 15, 2006, 10:12:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spoon

I installed Coppermine so I could generate galleries based on searches- the main page for Coppermine at http://coppermine-gallery.net says:

"Current features... -advanced search (boolean operators);" but I can't figure out how to use this- when I put booleans in the search field, they don't work. I've searched the documentation, FAQ, and forums, but could mostly only find "boolean" in old posts in the feature request area. Any help on what the appropriate syntax is (in case I'm getting it wrong), and then if it still doesn't work I'll be back...

Sorry to be asking for the search query syntax here in support, I feel like it's an idiotic question, but as I said, I couldn't find it in the documentation, FAQ, or forums, and I've tried the common syntax I know like +, -, |, AND, OR, NOT, etc, in both the search field and the query URL.

Running Coppermine 1.4.8

Thanks for any help,

Spoon.

Paver

Uh... I would call the current implementation of the Boolean operators a quasi-advanced feature.

The dropdown box on the Search page, with "Match all words (AND)" and "Match any words (OR)" is the boolean operator function.  You cannot type in "and" or "or" in the search box.

An even more advanced search is being considered for future versions.  There might be current mods that do more.  The key thing about adding such boolean operators to the search box is that then you need to properly parse the search text.