GD .BMP problems... GD .BMP problems...

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Main Menu

GD .BMP problems...

Started by mlrtime99, May 26, 2005, 10:13:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mlrtime99

le sigh..... well I did the gif upgrade as posted elsewhere on this site so I can now display gif's BUTTTT I'm still having no luck with bmp's which should (from all of the GD info I've read) work fine.  I am however still running CPG 1.3.2 so I am about to upgrade but I thought I'd throw this problem out there for you guys to mull over while I upgrade.

I am running gd 2.0.28 compatible, as seen here > http://benmiller.servebeer.com/test/php.php

And as stated CPG 1.3.2, go ahead and try uploading .bmp if that helps.... let me know if anyone has any suggestions.

mlrtime99

*UPDATE* wellll upgrade to 1.3.3 didn't do anything... time to update php

kegobeer

GD doesn't support BMP formats, that's why it doesn't work.  Upgrading to the latest PHP is always a good thing, but it still won't solve this issue.
Do not send me a private message unless I ask for one.  Make your post public so everyone can benefit.

There are no stupid questions
But there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots

Joachim Müller

to add to what kegobeer says: despite everything that you might read elsewhere, GD can only work with jpeg, png and gif. If you need other file formats (like BMP), you'll have to use ImageMagick instead (which doesn't come with many shared hosting plans. I recommend not allowing bmp in the first place, as they're not suitable for web use anyway and a huge waste of bandwidth and resources.

mlrtime99

ya I assumed that's what the problem was even though on the GD site it says it supports WBMP.. switching to imagemagick

kegobeer

WBMP is not BMP.

WBMP = Wireless Bit Map, part of the Wireless Application Protocol
BMP = Bit Mapped Graphics format in the Windows environment
Do not send me a private message unless I ask for one.  Make your post public so everyone can benefit.

There are no stupid questions
But there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots

mlrtime99

ahhhhsoooooo, and this is why I'd be a network engineer and not an apps guy ;) I have installed ImageMagick though and specified what I thought was the directory of "convert.exe" no luck yet... time to tinker

Joachim Müller

make sure that you have set permisions on the ImageMagick folder accordingly, and if you're on Windows (you seem to be), make sure your ImageMagick path doesn't contain spaces. For details, post a new thread, as this one deals with GD and therefor will be closed.