Why 10001 folder has CHMOD 777 and not 755? Why 10001 folder has CHMOD 777 and not 755?

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Main Menu

Why 10001 folder has CHMOD 777 and not 755?

Started by freespirit, August 15, 2005, 02:31:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

freespirit

I'm interested why 10001 folder has CHMOD 777 and not 755? I mean in, as you know, in 777 mod everyone can read, write and execute. I'm concerned about the security. What does it mean that World can Read, Write and Execute?

When I created my own folder Photos that is next to 10001 CHMOD for that folder is 755. Isn't it better that only Administrator has Read, Write, Execute and others only Read and Execute permission?

Is it a problem that I use a ftp client for uploading photos in my Photos folder and later to call it via URL/URI fields instead of uploading it via Coppermine Upload section? Is it better that my folder Photos have 755 or 777 CHMOD?

Please clarify. Thank you.

kegobeer

There is no security risk using 777.  There is a good thread at simplemachines.org that goes indepth on this topic.

Regarding what you are doing - as the admin you should be doing the batch add process, not uploading files and then using the web interface to add your images.  You should not add any directories inside the userpics directory.  Please read the documentation.
Do not send me a private message unless I ask for one.  Make your post public so everyone can benefit.

There are no stupid questions
But there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots

freespirit

Thanks for the prompt answer. Now, I've used the batch add process. Just one question. My photo CHMOD is now 644 although in Config option is set that photos default CHMOD is 666. Is it OK that photos be 644?