Problem with upload Problem with upload

News:

CPG Release 1.6.26
Correct PHP8.2 issues with user and language managers.
Additional fixes for PHP 8.2
Correct PHP8 error with SMF 2.0 bridge.
Correct IPTC supplimental category parsing.
Download and info HERE

Main Menu

Problem with upload

Started by Torstein1000, August 31, 2007, 08:59:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Torstein1000

Hello;

I have read and followed "4.11.4 Upload troubleshooting" after having the error message "The previous file could not be placed" "You have successfully placed all the files"

I am not able to upload pictures to a newly installed version of Coppermine without an undesirable workaround. The problem seems related to user rights.

It looks like each new user gets a folder named  100xx (with x as a incrementing number starting on 01) under /public_html/gallery/albums/userpics/. Later Coppermine tries to move uploaded files into the users folder. If I let Coppermine create the folders when the user are created, even with permission 777, I later, when uploading a file, get an error stating "The previous file could not be placed" . If I make the folder myself via cpanel it seems to work.

What do I do so new users will add without hazzle?

url: http://www.sinding-larsen.no/gallery/
user: testing
Password: Password

Thanks!

Nibbler

See if 'safe mode' is enabled in phpinfo.php

Also, if this is 'newly installed' why is it an old version? Update to 1.4.12; the latest stable version.

Torstein1000

Thanks for a really quick reply!

Yes, safe mode is enabled.

The reason for version 1.4.10 is that it is bundled in my web-hotel into cpanel.

Thanks!
Torstein

Nibbler

You might need to enable 'silly safe mode' as a workaround. (See the documentation). This means the extra directories will not be created - all files will be dumped directly into userpics. Updating to 1.4.12 is mandatory as there are bugs/security issues with previous releases. Download the latest version of Coppermine from our downloads page and follow the instructions to update.

Torstein1000

Thanks Nibbler!

That seems to do the trick. I guess I have to tell my web host to do the upgrade to 1.4.12 and to look into the safe mode issue. Should I expect the upgrade to help on this particular issue?

Another walkaround seems to be to pre-generate a lot of subdirectories myself for coming users to populate. Any thoughts about that solution?

The manual for 1.4.12 states that "There might be a slight performance impact for larger galleries". About how big is a larger gallery: 100 pictures, 1000, 10 000?

Thank you for great help!
Torstein

Nibbler

Don't expect your host to upgrade, you should take care of that yourself. The update to 1.4.12 won't help your issues, it is just a security fix. Pre-generating directories does not seem like a real solution to me. The performance impact is as a result of having lots of files in the same directory. The impact of this depends on your OS and file system. Practically this may affect you when you view your gallery via FTP, as the server will often limit the number of files displayed (eg. to 10,000). This will make it hard to backup your gallery via FTP since you will not be able to see all the files. Note that there will be 3 files for each image you add (thumb + intermediate + fullsize).

The workaround is to allow the gallery to work when safe mode is set up incorrectly; If it were set up correctly it would not prevent Coppermine writing to directories Coppermine creates itself. I've never used safe mode myself so I don't know the details.

Torstein1000

Thanks again, Nibbler!

Let me buy you a beer next time you are in Oslo! :)

Torstein

Joachim Müller