Batch upload won't work for large number of files? Batch upload won't work for large number of files?

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Main Menu

Batch upload won't work for large number of files?

Started by hill, October 13, 2004, 04:57:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hill

Hi there!

Problem: I want to upload approx. 300 files (~1MB / 3072x2048 Pixels)

My System: WinXP Prof./PHP 4.3.9/mysql 4.0.21/apache 2.0.52

Before that I ran Coppermine under Suse Linux 9.2 and the XP Publishing wizard worked great. As I changed my system to WinXP nothing worked anymore... ;-)

- XP Publishing Wizard is loading the files up, thumbs and normals are generated but no pictures are in the gallery.

- Batch upload has, let me say, graphic problems. Mysterious Signs are displayed, some checkboxed are at places they should not be. Not all of the pictures are uploaded... and so on.

What I have done so far:

- Increased RAM from 128MB to 392MB
- Increased maxtime in php.ini from 30s to 120s
- Increased memory_limit from 8M to 32M
- Commented "preview pictures" in "searchnew.php" out (function picrow)

It went better, but not good enough. What can I do, what mistakes have I done, why doesn't work XP-publ.wiz. anymore?

Thanks, hill

P.S.: No, I CANNOT change back to Linux!

P.S.: But above all - Coppermine Gallery is one of the best script I've ever seen - good job!

Joachim Müller

well, if you must have such large pic dimensions and you can't go back to linux, why don't you upload less files at once then?
Please understand that we can give only very limited support on server setup, or main focus is on coppermine. 392 MB RAM is not very much for a server on Windoze anyway, so it could be a memory problem imo (Windoze XP is notorious for RAM consumption). Why don't you take a look at your server logs?

Joachim

kiig

When I batch upload a large number of files (using ftp to put the images directly on the server, - and the coppermine Batch upload) it allways grinds to a halt after anywhere from 25 to 50 images, - depending on imagesize. Don't know why, - but this has allways been an issue on my server (from 1.2.1 upwards on 1.3.2)

What I do is this : ftp all files to the server, - start batch uploading, - and when it stops, - I just batch upload again, - this thime only the remaining images are checked for upload by default, - and I just continue this until I'm all done.

I usually upload 200+ images at a time so I'm used to this, - and it's not really and issue as I've gotten used to it.

Kim Igel

Kim Igel
http://igel.it (Personal playground) or http://foto.igel.it (Paypal shop-site)

hill

Quote from: kiig on October 14, 2004, 07:07:49 AM
When I batch upload a large number of files (using ftp to put the images directly on the server, - and the coppermine Batch upload) it allways grinds to a halt after anywhere from 25 to 50 images, - depending on imagesize. Don't know why, - but this has allways been an issue on my server (from 1.2.1 upwards on 1.3.2)

This works! So what I did was:

- presize the images -> "normal_" and "thumb_" (not on the server with "Easy Thumbnails" -> nice tool!)
- upload the pictures and split them into 50-image-folders.
- batch-upload

=> absolute no problems anymore!

Thanks, hill

Joachim Müller