Newly installed gallery will not place Pics?! Newly installed gallery will not place Pics?!

News:

CPG Release 1.6.26
Correct PHP8.2 issues with user and language managers.
Additional fixes for PHP 8.2
Correct PHP8 error with SMF 2.0 bridge.
Correct IPTC supplimental category parsing.
Download and info HERE

Main Menu

Newly installed gallery will not place Pics?!

Started by Hightower, August 01, 2005, 08:51:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hightower

I installed a new Coppermine gallery, created albums and users.  When users upload pics it says it uploaded successfully, then the screen comes up to select the folder for placement and write a caption, but the pic does not appear in the upper right corner like it should - it is merely a square with a little X in the corner, and then when you try to place the picture a message appears that it could not be placed, but no reason why.

I checked config to be sure the pics are of the correct type, config is set up to allow ALL pic types.  I tried uploading .jpg's, .bmps., .gif's, nothing will work.

I deleted the entire gallery, re-loaded the gallery and set up the users and albums again, but still the same story.

This gallery is being provided and installed by my webhost.

I have two other Coppermine gallery's that are working perfectly fine, no troubles.  but this one will not even after two re-loading attempts.  Nor does it give me any reason as to why.

Any suggestions??

kegobeer

Do not send me a private message unless I ask for one.  Make your post public so everyone can benefit.

There are no stupid questions
But there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots

Hightower

Thankyou very much.

I looked at the FAQ's, no particular question matches my delima.
I di an advanced search on past posts for "unable to place pic", but my limited knowledge got me knowhere with suggestions.

But I did enable debug for ALL, and created a new user named test, with password test.

Could you possibly logon as test and upload a pic, and take a look at the debug script to be further assitance?

Nibbler

kegobeer

Do not send me a private message unless I ask for one.  Make your post public so everyone can benefit.

There are no stupid questions
But there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots

Hightower

cool, thanks so much for offering to assist,
sorry I forgot to include the link to the gallery before....
and yes I did follow all directions for enabling debug and switching to single file uploads.

here is the link:
http://www.flatlandersatv.com/highlanders/index.php
login as test, password also test.

Hightower

I made some headway tonight - when trying to upload in debug mode and "single file uploads only" I see the error message, which states the path for the image magick convert program does not exist.  I went into config and changed the conversion program from image magick to GD version 2.x and it works fine, uploads and places fine.

I have no idea how make the convert program for image magick exist, as all I know how to do is click on the Coppermine install in the utilities area provided by my Web Host.  Apparently the installation does not get this part of the program completed, and my old galleries that have never had a problem were set up default to use the GD version 2.x, while this new install got set to default on Image Magick for some reason.

If you gurus do not know an easy way for my limited skills to enable Image Magick,  think I am cool with GD version 2.x
I don't even know what, if any, advantages Image Magick may have over it.  Guess I better do some more research, and learn a bit more about this powerful gallery program.

Joachim Müller

You can't install ImageMagick if you're web-hosted, see http://coppermine.sourceforge.net/faq.php#whatIsImageMagick
Just be happy that you were able to solve this issue, using GD2 is OK - no real advantage to use ImageMagick.

Hightower

Thankyou guys very very much, I would not have found the solution if not for you.

GD2 is good enough, Coppermine is a great gallery and I am very happy with it and what we've accomplished with GD2.
I am now noticing, GD2 seems to only cater to .jpg's.  I am wondering, does ImageMagick allow other file types, as well as .mpg movie files?

Thanks again!

Joachim Müller

GD2 can handle JPEG and PNG out-of-the-box, and additionally GIF if you have a recent version of it and applied the fix posted by kegobeer. ImageMagick can handle JPEG, PNG and GIF. None of those image libraries can currently be used to create thumbnails for movies or flash files. This has all been discussed in detail already, please search the board. We have a "One question per thread" policy you agreed to respect when signing up - your initial question has been answered, so please stop posting new questions on this thread.

Hightower

Certainly GauGau, no more questions, you've put this newbe in his place, I am sorry I am just used to forums that allow conversations to expand.
but how about going ahead and throwing out a simple "Your welcome" to the polite Thankyou I have given.

Joachim Müller

English is not my first language, so please excuse any "unpolite" replies; I'm trying to do my best. In my native language, there's hardly such a thing as a phrase like "thank you" that has to be answered with "you're welcome", because it is implied. I'm sorry if it hurt your feelings, I will try to remember that you have to add "meta conversation" in English.
As a side note: although I can type pretty fast, it's a matter of economy not to use too many words - I spend approx. 3 hours each day contributing to the coppermine project, with most of the time spent typing answers to support requests. But as you're so keen to read it: "you're welcome, it was a pleasure for me that I had the priviledge to answer your extremely good question"... ;-)
The reason why we have the "one question per thread" policy is quite simple: with a forum that has so many postings, you have to make it easier for users who search for answers. If a thread drifts too much, they will have to read even more before actually finding an answer to their problem.