No Upload. No FTP Setup. No Upload. No FTP Setup.

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Main Menu

No Upload. No FTP Setup.

Started by helmetman, September 18, 2005, 11:39:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

helmetman

??? I cant upload any files because it never asked me for my ftp stuff. I cannot find where to set it either. Help please??? And it doesnt allow people to register because the email cannot be sent.

kegobeer

Have you read the documentation yet?
Do not send me a private message unless I ask for one.  Make your post public so everyone can benefit.

There are no stupid questions
But there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots

helmetman

Yes, I have. I cannot find where to edit the FTP settings.  :-\\

kegobeer

Coppermine does not use FTP so it won't ask your for FTP information.

You need to be more specific with your issue - you haven't given any error messages or any explanation of what you are trying to do when a problem happens.
Do not send me a private message unless I ask for one.  Make your post public so everyone can benefit.

helmetman

It does not upload files

QuoteThis function allows you to add a batch of file that your have uploaded to your server by FTP.
(nothing shows up in here unlike the screenshot in the readme)
Select the directory where you have uploaded your files

I have uploads allowed but the upload always fails.

Quote0 uploads were successful.

And, yes it does use FTP:
Quote4.7 Uploading pics by FTP

kegobeer

Quote from: helmetman on September 19, 2005, 01:05:49 AM
It does not upload files

QuoteThis function allows you to add a batch of file that your have uploaded to your server by FTP.
(nothing shows up in here unlike the screenshot in the readme)
Select the directory where you have uploaded your files

I have uploads allowed but the upload always fails.

Quote0 uploads were successful.

And, yes it does use FTP:
Quote4.7 Uploading pics by FTP

Thanks for clarifiying.  ::)

Do not quote me the instructions - I think I know what Coppermine does and does not do.  Coppermine does not upload your pictures using FTP - if you use the web interface to upload pictures, it uses HTTP uploads.  Your error message "0 uploads were successful" is not a batch add error, it is an error you get when attempting to upload images via the web interface.  If you had read the instructions completely, you would have seen this:

Quote4.7 Uploading pics by FTP / Batch-Add Pictures
It's recommended that the coppermine admin uses ftp to upload many pics in one go. Use your ftp software to create sub-folders within your_coppermine_directory/albums/, where your ftp uploads can go to. It's a good idea to have a folder structure within the albums folder that reflects your coppermine categories and albums, but it's not mandatory.
Important: do not create folders or upload to the userpics- nor the edit-folder by ftp: these folders are used by coppermine internally and mustn't be used for any other purpose! Folder names mustn't contain dots and it's even recommended not to use any special chars - only use a-z, numbers and maybe - or _. Make sure to upload in binary or auto-mode.

Once you have uploaded your photos by ftp, click on the Batch Add Pictures button. The batch-add is done in three steps:

find the directory under which you have uploaded your photos. Select this directory by clicking on it.

select the photos you wish to upload (by ticking them, the new pics are pre-selected, those that already are in your coppermine database are not selected) and the album you wish to insert them into. Click "Insert Selected Pictures" to start the batch-add process.

CPG will then display the results of the batch-add (allow some time untill all results are being shown).
If the OK, DP, PB 'signs' does not appear click on the broken file to see any error message produced by PHP.
If your browser times out, hit the reload button.
OK : means that the file was succesfully added
DP : means that the file is a duplicate and is already in the database
PB : means that the file could not be added, check your configuration and the permission of directories where the files are located
NA : means that you haven't selected an album the files should go to, hit 'back' and select an album. If you don't have an album create one first
Giving FTP-access to other users is a serious security threat, that's why batch-add is only available for the coppermine gallery admin.

Once files have been added to coppermine's database, make sure not to rename or delete them by ftp - use coppermine's admin menu to remove files instead, since this way they will be removed both from the file system and the database.

In case you missed it, that means you use your FTP client to create subdirectories in the /albums directory.  You then FTP your images to those directories.  Then you click on the batch add link and follow the instructions as stated in the documentation.  Only the admin can see that link - regular users cannot use the batch add interface.

The error you got means you are attempting to upload images one at a time - that means you clicked on the Upload file link.

The FAQ tells you what to do when troubleshooting the upload process.  Here are the links for you:

Upload problems?
What should I do first?
Troubleshooting the upload process.
General upload troubleshooting.

helmetman

:o So, users cannot upload files using the "UPLOAD FILE" button? :-X this is my problem i cannot upload files usuing the upload page. the main reason i downloading this is because it appeared users can upload picture to your site... :-\\

kegobeer

Come on, helmetman..... I posted links on how to troubleshoot the upload process.  If you won't follow the directions I give, I can't help you.

Perhaps another dev will have better luck assisting you.  I'm out of this thread.

helmetman

Ok, I found the problem! My wesberver doesn't allow uploading with php. Mabey it would be a good idea to make it to where you can choose between FTP and HTTP. Uploads would be faster with FTP ??? I would buy this if it had FTP. ;)

kegobeer

I know I said I was out of this thread, but I just couldn't resist.  I know you haven't read the manual, but I figured you would take the time to read my posts.  If you had, you wouldn't have posted this silly message:

Quote from: helmetman on September 19, 2005, 09:16:22 PM
Ok, I found the problem! My wesberver doesn't allow uploading with php. Mabey it would be a good idea to make it to where you can choose between FTP and HTTP. Uploads would be faster with FTP ??? I would buy this if it had FTP. ;)

or this one:

Quote from: helmetman on September 19, 2005, 01:32:32 AM
:o So, users cannot upload files using the "UPLOAD FILE" button? :-X this is my problem i cannot upload files usuing the upload page. the main reason i downloading this is because it appeared users can upload picture to your site... :-\\

since one post above that I quoted directly from the manual on how the batch add process works.  Oh well.  You can lead a horse to water but you just can't make him drink.

I think a better solution for you is to find someone that will host images for you, like ImageShack or PhotoBucket.

That's all I have to say about that.