convert processes (Imagemagick) convert processes (Imagemagick)

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Main Menu

convert processes (Imagemagick)

Started by luma, October 05, 2005, 07:04:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

luma

Hello,

I have just changed servers. I went from a Redhat linux machine to a Freebsd machine, same hardware,
I have installed apache, php, mysql and imagemagick the exact same was as I did before and everything is working except for one thing that is bothering me.
on the old server when I added pics via batchadd it would use alot more of the cpu's and convert 4 to 7 at a time and take alot less time. now it does 2 at a time and uses very little resources. the load average used to go up to about 4 now the load average goes up to about 2

what controls this?

I have tweaked my php.ini file and can't seem to find what would control this.
I have asked in apaache and bsd forums but no one could seem to think of anything

Thank you very much for any info

Luma

Joachim Müller

So you're complaining that the process load has gone down?

kegobeer

Ha ha ha ha ha!  This has got to be the first time someone wants to know how to degrade a server's performance!

Luma: you want a lower load average, not a higher one, and of course using less CPU cycles is better than using more.  Don't worry that it takes a longer to process images; it's always more desirable to use less resources.
Do not send me a private message unless I ask for one.  Make your post public so everyone can benefit.

There are no stupid questions
But there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots

luma

might be funny to you guys and ya it is kinda funny to me too
but this servers only job is the gallery.
it has 4 xeon 400mhz cpu's
5.2 gigs of ram
4 36gig 10k rpm drives in a Raid 5 using a IBM servraid adapter that has 128meg of battery backed up cache.
I got this machine cheap from a business that went belly up and it sits in my room (I don't pay hydro here) and just does its job hosting the gallery along with a few tiny sites.

its not very often that folks upload shots but when they do its 20 to 40 at a time so I like the load to go on up.
right now it uses 2 cpus at about 75percent
it used to go up to 4 cpus at about 75percent so still had a bit of room but it was FAST to process the images

its no big deal I suppose but would have been nice to put it the way it was before.

thank you though

Luma

Stramm

FreeBSD contrary to Linux tries to keep load of the machine. If you want your box to do more... give it more jobs. Or tell your host to reconfigure the system. That has nothing to do with coppermine. Coppermine just tells your system 'Hey, OS, I have jobs to do. Please take care of this'. That's it. How the jobs get done doesn't interest Coppermine.

Sidenote: I'm very happy with my two FreeBSD servers. Have them up and running now both for over 3 years. And both got offline only once for maintenance.

luma

Thank you Stramm,

I will not complainig and just let it do its thing then :)
I would give it more jobs to do but it only allows 2 proceses of convert to run :) but none of the gallery users are complaining so I will be happy and let it go as is.

have a great day

Luma