[usergroups] custom membergroup doesn't have 'registered' permissions? [usergroups] custom membergroup doesn't have 'registered' permissions?

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Main Menu

[usergroups] custom membergroup doesn't have 'registered' permissions?

Started by LilAngel, January 27, 2006, 09:41:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LilAngel

Hi,

I browsed this category, but oddly I didn't see any thread solving the problem I have, which makes me wonder if I am doing something wrong.
I have a problem with usergroups. I made a set of albums in a certain category only visible for registered users. The problem is, there are also two custom groups of users in our gallery: 'elite' and 'premium'. This is for something we have implemented in the network site; premium users have more rights than registered users, elite members have even more rights. We ask a small contribution for that.

Now the actual problem is, those users cannot see the albums I made only visible for registered users. Ergo: pissed of users, they have paid and now they can't even see these pictures whereas a free member, can?
It seems odd, that I can't hit the checkbox 'Registered', because I can choose from all the other membergroups.

How do I solve this?

Let me know if anyone needs any testusers...

Blueiris

Go to Users in your admin panel. Then click on the "e" icon next to one of your premium or elite users. On the next page that opens, next to "User group" you should see a drop down box, and below that your groups with checkboxes. Set the dropdown to "registered," and then check the checkbox for either premium or elite. That should solve the problem.
You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink - he's got to discover that it's wet for himself.

LilAngel

Yeah, and that is exactly what is not possible:

QuoteIt seems odd, that I can't hit the checkbox 'Registered', because I can choose from all the other membergroups.

Nibbler

Quote from: Blueiris on January 28, 2006, 12:06:56 AM
Set the dropdown to "registered," and then check the checkbox for either premium or elite. That should solve the problem.

Blueiris

Hmmm. I think we need to pause a moment and clarify exactly what the problem is here.

You said:
QuoteIt seems odd, that I can't hit the checkbox 'Registered', because I can choose from all the other membergroups.

"Registered" should be in the dropdown menu, and does not have a checkbox. So I'm not clear here. Are you saying you cannot select Registered in the dropdown?
You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink - he's got to discover that it's wet for himself.

Joachim Müller

In other words: the dropdown box determines the primary membergroup. All users must be either admin or registered member. Make your users in question "registered". Then assign their secondary group "premium" or whatever by ticking the appropriate checkboxes.

LilAngel

That is what I tried at first, keeping them in Registered group and assigning them to Elite or Premium.
However, it doesn't apply on our site, where we have intergrated those users. I guess we will have to rebuild the system ourselves. It used to work fine, that is why I asked.

Blueiris

It still does work fine on my installs. If it used to work for you and now it doesn't, the thing is to figure out what changed and when. I doubt rebuilding the system is necessarily the answer.

It's difficult to guage just what is wrong from the information you have given so far. You say you "integrated" those users - perhaps an error crept in at that point? Without fuller information, we really can't provide helpful answers.