Does anyone have any experience with the 1&1 Home Package? Does anyone have any experience with the 1&1 Home Package?

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Main Menu

Does anyone have any experience with the 1&1 Home Package?

Started by bobathia, May 09, 2007, 06:37:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobathia

Ok, I'd like to start out by saying that I have checked (and doubled checked) all of the following:

1. permissions on 'albums' and 'include' (and all subfolders) is 755
2. I've done everything at: http://coppermine-gallery.net/demo/cpg14x/docs/index.htm#upload_trouble

and I still get a Error 500 - Internal server error when doing a single file upload with the admin account and the test user account.

you can try at www.ronakm.com/photos
with
username: test
password: test1

I'm using the 1&1 Home package.

When doing the batch upload, I can select the directory and then get to 'the List of new files' and most of the thumbnails do propagate here. There are 81 files, and I've resampled them so that the largest is 2,317 k, but I have set the 'Max size for uploaded files (KB)' on the config page to 9999. (most of the images are under 500 kb). When all of the thumbnails are done loading on this page, I select all of them, pick the album I want to add them to and then click on 'insert selected files'.

On the next page, the results all say: "click for details or to reload" and take me to a page that says:

Error 500 - Internal server error

An internal server error has occured!
Please try again later.

Now I was on the phone with 1&1 for over an hour and they said that everything was working fine with their servers etc etc and essentially dumped all of the blame for this not working on coppermine. The only thing that they offered was a link to the following thread: http://forum.coppermine-gallery.net/index.php?topic=43532.msg206995 but I can't even get a regular http upload to work (I get the internal server error) (note, this doesn't work even for very small images)

does anyone have any idea what I can do. I think that I have done a diligent search throughout this particular forum and have not found an sufficient answer. Let me know if you want me to post the debug info. Thank you so much in advance for any help you can offer.

Joachim Müller

bobathia

hmm, it seems to work fine for really small pictures... I'm working on finding where the sweet spot is. Can you suggest a batch resizing program that will make the files all under a target size? And thank you for your quick reply.

bobathia

Well it seems to be working fine for images around 50-70 kb. I've used IrfanView with the batch resampling feature and put it on 50% save quality and the longest side to 800 pixels. The pictures don't look all that great... but the upload seems to work fine now. You can mark this as solved. thanks.

bobathia

If anyone is still interested in using 1&1, here's their response to my customer support claim (filled out the online form):

Dear *******,

Thank you for contacting us.

The 500 internal server errors you received while uploading a large
amount of images was likely because you hit one of our CGI limits. These
are in place to prevent any particular script/application from using up
too many resources on the server. Very often this type of software which
has image-resizing built into it and so forth can use an excessive
amount of memory and/or CPU time while it resizes the images. You will
likely want to consider uploading smaller batches of images so that it
isn't hammering the server with such requests all at once. For your own
reference, we have in place the following CGI limits:

*     A process may only use a CPU at 100% for 6 seconds
*     A process may use a maximum of 12 mb of RAM
*     A maximum of 12 processes can be run at any single time

If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact us.

--
Sincerely,
Technical Support
1&1 Internet

rphMedia

Ah, they're blowing smoke, as always. I've had a 1and1 package since 2001 and I don't have that sort of problem. Unless maybe your package is pretty lame. They used to be great, but have found out lately that their server speeds are pretty bad, so I've switched hosting companies. Anyway, I have jpg images upwards of 3MB and videos >40MB, no problem. Don't believe their hype. The figures there look like WIN95 specs.

Joachim Müller

For a more detailed discussion on server-sided restrictions that have an impact on Coppermine (php.ini settings), read the thread Trouble-shooting the upload process

I disagree with rphMedia. The figures that bobathia posted seem reasonable to me on shared hosting in the budget sector. The settings they claim to have applied translate as follows (refer to php.net: Appendix H. php.ini directives):
Quote from: bobathia on May 10, 2007, 02:28:44 AMprocess may only use a CPU at 100% for 6 seconds
max_execution_time - 6
Quote from: bobathia on May 10, 2007, 02:28:44 AMA process may use a maximum of 12 mb of RAM
memory_limit - 12MB

Those settings are quite common imo. rphMedia is correct though that if you need better performance, you should look for a better webhosting package.