unable to batch upload with 1.3.1 unable to batch upload with 1.3.1

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Main Menu

unable to batch upload with 1.3.1

Started by eworthy, August 01, 2004, 12:52:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eworthy

just upgraded from 1.2 to 1.3.1 to eliminate an issue with 1.2.   Attempts to batch upload fail.   Directory listing is not shown.   Installed 1.2 version of searcnew.php and problem resolved.   I suspect it is not so simple as the new searchnew.php is 3k larger than the old file.  None the less the new version does not seem to work.
Eric

Nibbler

Make sure you are not trying to batch add from the userpics directory.

Moving this to the appropriate board.

Casper

Did you read the stickies above this thread, or search the board before asking.
This has been discussed many many times
It has been a long time now since I did my little bit here, and have done no coding or any other such stuff since. I'm back to being a noob here

eworthy

I have changed the permissions on all the directories as suggested in the 'stickies'.   When I run batch upload I get no file listings at all.  I do not get the option of loading from userpics or from anywhere.  I have been using 1.2.  Is the behaviour of 1.3 redesigned?  Since I don't know what it is supposed to do, I am not much help in describing the problem.   If I go back to the 1.2 script it works as before.  If I reload the 1.3.1 script it fails.

Joachim Müller

Please answer the question: did you ftp-upload files to the userpics folder? If you didn't, where did you upload them to? Post the full URL of the folder where your uploads by ftp went to, together with a link to your gallery and a test user account (non-admin) with upload privileges, so we can do some checks.

GauGau

DizMatt

reading through this thread, i have a similar problem

however, I don't think it's coppermine related...
The reason being is that I have two CM galleries, and neither will list directories to which I can upload

they are in the userpics DIR
permissions are as standard
this has worked successfully on 1.3.1 until last night.. :(

however, other symptoms are that the galleries and my phpwebsite are all refusing to log me in automatically.
previously my CM gallery was happy to recognise me via cookies every time
as such I'm also going to contact my host to see if they've changed anything and how to fix it
however, any suggestions are most welcome.

I also all of a sudden get "Fatal error: Call to undefined function: getmicrotime() in /themes/mytheme/theme.php on line 836"

Casper

The problem is the same for both of you.

The pics are in the 'userpics' directory.  This is the wrong place for them.  They were never meant to be in that directory, but in new folders you create within the albums directory.  The userpics directory is for the exclusive use on coppermine when users upload by html.

As so many people were using the wrong directory, which often led to problems, the batch add no longer shows the userpics folder, but it does show any folders you create correctly.

Any pics that are already in the database, and in the userpics directory should be left alone, but all new pics should be ftp'd as above.
It has been a long time now since I did my little bit here, and have done no coding or any other such stuff since. I'm back to being a noob here

DizMatt

okay, thanks

I've put a test folder in ALBUMS and it seems to find that okay. so cheers
will run another test now

however, before I was uploading from folders placed in the userpics dir, which worked perfectly before.
although if that's the incorrect thing to do i'm not sure why I was lead to believe it was previously correct and it did function perfeclty from there before
quite strange
anyway thanks

Casper

Hi,

yes, it did work fine for many, but it also caused many problems for a lot, which seemed to come on at anytime.

It has always been the case that ftp  should be done to new folders, not the userpics, but this maybe was not as clear as it needed to be in earlier versions, as very many users fell foul of this.
The docs though, have been quite clear on this for some time.

Anyway, I hope you continue to enjoy using coppermine.

eworthy

OK. I screwed up.  I was checking everything over and setting up a test client for you to test when I discovered my error.  My FTP client was 'rooted' to /userpics.  It hadn't made any difference in 1.2 and I hadn't remembered setting it up that way.  My apologies.   Batch uploads work fine now.

This seems to be a problem you have to telll lots of dopes like me about.  It frustrates you obviously and is no fun for us neophytes either.  Why don't you create an 'uploads' directory in the distribution package with appropriate permissions then it will be there when the system is initialized.  You'll have to answer fewer posts from people stumbling around and there willl be one less hoop to jump for us beginners.  Does this suggestion have any merit?

BTW thanks for this wonderful photo management tool.
Eric

Tarique Sani

Well ultimately Uploads will start giving the same problems as userpic - It will have to be a Folder like Read_Instructions_for_batch_upload_inside_this and a text file explaining what to do is placed inside the said folder :)
SANIsoft PHP applications for E Biz

Casper

It would probably be easiest to rename the userpics folder to something like 'keep_out_enter_at_your_own_risk'
;D

Joachim Müller

To make this feature more fool-proof, I have added this text to the language file of the devel version a while ago: There are no folders inside the "albums" folder yet. Make sure to create at least one custom folder within "albums" folder and ftp-upload your files there. You mustn't upload to the "userpics" nor "edit" folders, they are reserved for http uploads and internal purposes.. The text will be shown when searchnew.php doesn't return any pics. I have added a help icon there as well.

GauGau

mgraf

OK, let's just suppose I know a guy, who shall remain nameless  ;), who did the stupid thing of uploading all previous pictures in the userpics directory (under CPG 1.2.). (some 500+ pics!), and then upgraded to 1.3.1.   I understand that under 1.3.1, thou shall not do this.

Is there a way to go into the SQL database and rename the old path of userpics to say 'images' for all the old pictures - then changing the directory name on the site???

I am just trying to figure out a way to correct what should have never happened in the first place.

Joachim Müller

don't correct it, if it used to work for you then there's no need to mess with it (although you weren't meant to ftp-upload to userpics in cpg1.2.x as well). There is a method to actually move the pics, but it requires some knowledge with phpMyAdmin and is only recommended for very experienced users. I'd say just leave things as they are and ftp-upload to other folders than userpics from now on.

GauGau