Possible Issue w/ Batch Add "Put Files" Possible Issue w/ Batch Add "Put Files"

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Main Menu

Possible Issue w/ Batch Add "Put Files"

Started by FlyingL0, December 24, 2007, 03:51:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FlyingL0

I have created the following categories..

January
  February
  March
  etc...

January
  February
  March
  etc...

Under the month categories i have created several different albums.  I noticed that if I have the same name album in 2006 - January as 2007 - January the names are lumped together in "put files" dropdown in the batch add process.  The same issue applies with the other albums in January, instead of listing them as 2006 and 2007 separately it combines them.

Joachim Müller

Why don't you name your album "January 2007" or "2007 - January" instead of just naming it "January" then?

PerformanceImagery

I am having this same issue and it appears from searching that it has been an issue for quite a few people since at least April of 2006.

While making your albums all have unique names sounds like a reasonable solution, it will not always work.  Take my site for example, I photography car and motorcycle racing a lot and I think it will quickly show the draw backs to unique names for every album...

A typical race will produce this category/album structure...

Category = Race Date
Category = Race Class
Album = Racer Number

When populated, this is what I get for a single race...

Categories

Amateur GTO
Amateur GTU
Heavyweight Superbike
Heavyweight Supersport
Lightweight Grand Prix
Middleweight Superbike
Middleweight Supersport
Modern Vintage GTO
Modern Vintage GTU
Novice GTO
Novice GTU
Open Superbike
Open Supersport
RoR GTU
RoR GTO
Supertwins GTO
Supertwins GTO

Albums
For each of the above categories, there will be between 2 and 20 albums based off of the bike/car number of the rider/driver.

Multiply this by 10 races a year and then by several years of racing and you can see it will be easy to have 30+ categories all named the same and impossible to distinguish between them.

I could name my categories as suggested...

23Apr07 Heavyweight Supersport
14May07 Heavyweight Supersport
21Jun07 Heavyweight Supersport
27Jun07 Heavyweight Supersport
xx Jul07 Heavyweight Supersport
xx Jul07 Heavyweight Supersport
xxAug07 Heavyweight Supersport
xxAug07 Heavyweight Supersport
xxSep07 Heavyweight Supersport
xxOct07 Heavyweight Supersport

However, that does get unwieldy and unsightly to the user when they come to the site.  Are there any plans to rectify this in a future release of Coppermine?

Nibbler

PerformanceImagery

Nibbler, thank you for the hope that this might be resolved in the future.