Batch Add Files Batch Add Files

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Main Menu

Batch Add Files

Started by jimbo101, October 21, 2004, 05:59:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimbo101

I just installed the new coppermine but cannot seem to get the add batch file to work just get a box saying Select directory and This function allows you to add a batch of file that your have uploaded to your server by FTP.

Select the directory where you have uploaded your files but cannot find were to open the folders help

thanks jim

Nibbler

What folder did you upload the pictures to ? not into userpics I hope.

Topanga

I just installed coppermine and wanted to use the batch add files.
searching in the forums I found a lot of questions, more or less the same as I have/had

This function allows you to add a batch of file that your have uploaded to your server by FTP.
Select the directory where you have uploaded your files
And nothing else.

The answers I could find in the different treaths were not that obvious to interpret.
I suppose that you have to create a directory in the albumfolder, and chmod that directory and all files to 777 and that then it will be solved ?
This is just a wild guess, I can't find that answer anywere.

My problem seems to be solved, but I put in in here, so others can benefit from it also.
I'm using coppermine for less than 30 minutes, so if this is not correct, please correct it.

Casper

it is correct, but this is clearly stated in the docs.  please take the time to read them and the faq, as most questions are answered there, including how and where to put your folders.

You should actually create a folder structure within the albums folder, that will be easy for you to admin later when you have lots of pics.
We suggest mirroring the category/album structure you are going to use to display the files.
It has been a long time now since I did my little bit here, and have done no coding or any other such stuff since. I'm back to being a noob here

jca325

I looked at faq and such but I still dont see it....... I just upgraded from like 1.2 and all my albums i previously batch uploaded are in the user pics folder, I know I need to move them but they still show up fine, I just cant seem to upload new ones there, how do I move them to the  albums folder?

kegobeer

You don't have to move the pictures already in the database.  Like the documentation says, you have to create a subdirectory in the /albums directory and FTP your new pictures there.
Do not send me a private message unless I ask for one.  Make your post public so everyone can benefit.

There are no stupid questions
But there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots

jca325

well what do i do if i want to move all my old pictures into the new folder setup? do i have to download them all to my pc and reup them to albums folder, and yes i know theyre already in the database, i just want to move them for organizational purposes

Hein Traag

You can it in two ways.

1)
Download all the pics and remove the whole album through coppermine. Then add a new album and reupload the pictures and making sure the folder setup on the FTP matches the album setup in coppermine. Then batch add the pics again in the new album.

2)
Just move the album into the new category leaving the folders in the FTP the way they are now.

1 is adviced

Tranz

Another way is to move the files through FTP and use a database editor like phpmyadmin to update the files' new location. Not advised for mysql newbies. Backups advised.

This method would retain all info on the files, like views, comments, etc.

jca325

tranz is there an easier way to do it and save all items like times viewed?

Tranz

Sorry, not any that I could think of. :-\\ Maybe someone could come up with a user-friendly interface to do it but that in itself would take effort. They would have to add a new field to file properties that would allow you to edit the file path from within the gallery.

Joachim Müller

just leave everything as it is now, don't start breaking things if they work. Just make sure to add new ftp-uploads to your new folder structure within the albums folder and leave the old ones (that you mistakenly uploaded to the userpics folder) just where they are - the human doesn't have to keep track where the files are stored, that's why we have a database that keeps track of the files. If you want things nice'n neat, you have to know your way around. If you don't know your way around, leave things as they are.

Joachim